In 1899 in the city Wiener Neustadt was open the Austrian branch of the German company Daimler. Production of lorries was the purpose of creation of this branch. Son Gotliba of Daimler – Paul became the technical director of Austro-Daimler. Paul Daymler insisted on release of the automobile cars which production began with the PD model equipped with the 2-cylinder engine in volume in 1,4 litres.
In 1905, instead of Paul Daymlera, Ferdinand Porshe who in 1931 will open the own company became the director. Still working in the Austrian firm Lohner, Porsche developed power plant absolutely new on that time. He created also the self-moving crew first in the history. The chief designer and the technical director on one face began with car release under the Mixer brand in which again wanted to realise the development: the petrol engine put in action the generator of a current which submitted a food for the electromotors located in naves of wheels.
In 1906 the Austro-Daimler company became financially independent. In 1910 the Prinz Heinrich model equipped with the top row cleanby 4-cylinder engine in volume in 5,7 l and capacity in 95 l was let out. forces. To creation of this model led participation of the company in the distant run which winner won a prize from Prussian prince Henry. These run entailed development of new cars (not only in the Austro-Daimler company) with the most aerodynamic bodies.
The engine which was put on the Prinz Heinrich car, was aviation. It differed steel cylinders (diameter of 105 mm) and pistons (a course of 165 mm). Valves settled down at an angle 45 °. The open body of this model, smooth and approximated, was made by the Neumann-Neander company. Also Prinz Heinrich was equipped with a mechanical 4-step transmission, a rigid suspension bracket on semi-elliptic springs and drum-type brakes. The maximum speed of the car made 115 km/h.
Directly Ferdinand Porshe at a Prinz Heinrich model wheel repeatedly won various competitions. As a whole three prize-winning places were given to these cars. The car won 9 intermediate arrivals from 12. For all history only 200 copies of Prinz Heinrich the most part from which was exported, generally to England and the USA were made.
In 1911 a number of improvements was carried out: cardan transfer replaced chain, the model was re-equipped with the engine in 6,9 l, the body became more convenient. This model, which maximum speed made 100 km/h, received an index of 30/60 HP.
Practically before the beginning of the First World War the smallest car of Austro-Daimler equipped with the 4-cylinder engine in volume of 2,2 l was let out.
In 1919 Ferdinand Porshe began development of the racing car and called it in honour of count Sascha Kolovrat – Sascha. The known Austro-Hungarian count, the moviemaker who is fond of cars, participated more than once in competitions. It became famous also for that in 1913 for participation in the Alpine race (2415 km) as the workmate took a pig. And in 1919 of columns independently financed development of the new racing car called in his honour.
The open double car was to a lungs equipped with the aluminium ryadny 4-cylinder engine in volume in 1,1 l and capacity in 50 "horses" with steel cylinders in diameter in 68,3 mm and pistons from an easy alloy (a course of 75 mm). The Sascha model which has been let out in 1920, had drum-type brakes on all wheels, double ignition, a mechanical 4-step transmission and could gather speed to 145 km/h.
In 1922 four such cars participated in the race "Targa Florio". Alfred Noybauer who after the lapse of some time became the main racer of "Mercedes" sat at a wheel of one of them. The Sascha model appeared on the second place among cars with the engine in volume to 1,1 l. The same year Sascha cars participated in 52 races from which 43 won.
The advanced Sascha model with the engine in volume in 1,5 l did not achieve the same success, having lost race in Monza. Was decided not to continue development of this model then Ferdinand Porshe left the company. But Sascha with the engine in 2 l managed to participate in competitions of 1926 in Bruklenda.
In 1920 of Porsche began development of the AD-617 model which should become the car of the highest class. The model was equipped with the 6-cylinder engine from easy alloys in volume in 4,4 l. In 1923 the automobile ADM-1 model (10/50 HP) which maximum speed reached 100 km/h was let out. The engine of this car was equipped with one carburettor and one top camshaft.
In 1923 instead of Porsche the company was headed by Charles Rabe who only finished the models created by Ferdinand. In 1925-1927 the ADM-2 model which differed the two-carburettor engine was made. The following car, ADM-3, had the engine in volume in 3 l. In sports option of the chassis of these models were truncated. Besides, they became the first cars which have an opportunity to be dispersed till the speed exceeding 160 km/h. ADM-3 possessed capacity of 100 hp.
The long shaped ADR car with a frame in the form of the central pipe became the following model. The model had an independent back suspension bracket from three springs. The forward suspension bracket was dependent. Progressive rigidity of springs allowed to provide as much as possible comfort at great speed and full loading. The ADR model was equipped with the engine in volume almost in 3 l in capacity in 70 h.p., a mechanical 4-step transmission, drum-type brakes with a servoamplifier. The body of this car changed at will of customers. The following sports updatings of this model (12/100) possessed capacity of 100 h.p.
The most powerful models from the ADR-6 steel ADR series Bergmayster equipped with the 6-cylinder engine, and also Alpin's ADR-8 with the 8-cylinder unit, let out in 1929-1930. Engine displacement Bergmayster made 3,6 l, differing in capacity in 120 h.p. The maximum speed of this model reached 145 km/h. The car of the highest class of Alpin was equipped with the engine in volume in 4,6 l. Alpin's model was issued in only 50 copies. Bodies on these models also it was possible to establish various – from any automotive company of Europe. Bergmayster was made till 1934.
In 1934, after an economic crisis, the Austro-Daimler company intended to unite with the Austrian automotive firms Steyr and Puch. But in 1936 of Austro-Daimler stopped the existence.
The story that began about four years ago with the concept Maserati Kubang, may suddenly come to the finals this year. According to preliminary data, the Maserati Levante crossover, armed with three ...
Before the premiere of the new sedan from Jaguar remains a few weeks, but the manufacturer is already planning the completion of the family. The "charged" modification of XE sedan will get the same i...
Hyundai group was forced to withdraw about 140 thousand cars Sonata models because of defective seat belts. This informed the representatives of the company. It is reported that the cars were withdra...
Audi can show in Paris another, in addition to the Roadster, a variant on the theme of popular sports car TT. According to preliminary data, the family of TT will replenish body style shooting brake,...
Opel Insignia gets a new powerplant. In addition, developers have reported about several innovations that will make the journey even more comfortable. ...