The Australian enterprise Wolseley Sheep Shearing Company, rather known in the end of the XIX century, specialized on production of machines for a hairstyle of sheep. Herbert Austen at first worked in this company as the technician, but over time became the director of English office of Wolseley. In 1895 Herbert Austen decided to construct 3-wheeled crew created by an example of the French car of Leon Bollee. The car was equipped with the 1-cylinder engine which volume made 1,3 liters. But in a year the new model which called Wolseley Number 1 was let out.
In 1900 the English office of Wolseley was redeemed by the Vickers company, and Herbert Austen remained in board of directors of firm. And next year the first four-wheel Wolseley 5HP car equipped with the 1,3 liters 1-cylinder motor was presented. Practically at once there was also model 10HP on which installed the two-cylinder engine with a working volume of 2,6 liters. In both cars cylinders of engines settled down horizontally. Besides, Wolseley 5HP was completed with the updated coil of ignition and the float-operated carburetor – all these innovations were invented by Herbert Austen. Despite the elementary transmission, the car it was quite popular. The machine with drum brakes and the chain drive of back wheels, and also with a suspension bracket on semielliptical springs could accelerate to 40 km/h at the power only 5 horsepowers.
In 1905 the post of the CEO of the company was held by John Devenport Siddli who already owned by then the own company importing Peugeot cars to Great Britain. At the initiative of John Siddli Wolseley cars began to equip with engines with a vertical arrangement of cylinders which were released, actually, by Siddeley firm. Herbert Austen, discordant with an innovation, left the Wolseley company, and soon founded the automobile building firm Austin which became known for the whole world.
Till 1910 cars carried the name Wolseley-Siddeley. For their production the 2nd, 4th and 6-cylinder engines were used, thus the 15,7 liters four-cylinder motor was the most powerful of them.
In 1911 in a mass production the Wolseley 16/20HP model which also carried the name Stellite was started. The engine installed on this car was 4-cylinder and possessed volume in 3 liters. Next year the extraordinary car on two wheels equipped with the gyroscopic stabilizer was presented. The car received the corresponding name – Gyrocar. The Russian count Pyotr Petrovich Shilovsky suggested the company to realize this invention.
Shortly before the beginning of World War II of Wolseley together with Morris united with Nuffield group of companies into which Riley and MG already entered. At this moment the Wolseley company offered the buyers five cars equipped with six-cylinder engines from 2,1 to 3,5 liters.
After the end of war production of pre-war cars was resumed. The Wolseley 8HP model which is let out in 1946 became the first novelty. It was the copy of the Morris 8HP-E car the only difference from which was the motor with the top valves. In 1948 there were two more models identical to Morris cars. Wolseley-4/50 appeared analog of Morris Oxford, and Wolseley-6/80 repeated Morris Six. Cars were equipped with the 4th and 6-cylinder motors with the top camshafts. In 1949 practically all equipment of the Wolseley company was transported on plants of Morris firm that resulted in even bigger identity of the let-out models.
In 1952 the Nuffield concern and the Austin company created a korpor a tion of British Motor Corporation, or Naval Forces. Cars which went on sale under the name of Wolseley, were, besides, analog of other models released by various diggings entering into concern of Naval Forces, incorporating thus the best qualities of comfortable and powerful cars.
In the same 1952 on the London motor show Wolseley-4/44 on which installed the motor similar to the MG-TD model was presented. The car body reminded the MG Magnett-Z car. The line 4-cylinder unit possessed volume in 1,25 liters and power in 46 horsepowers. Wolseley-4/44 could gather speed to 118 km/h. In 1955 on the basis of this model Wolseley-6/90 on the Riley Pathfinder chassis, respectively, equipped with the production Austin 2,6 liters 6-cylinder engine was let out. These cars began to be used in police of England again.
In 1958 the Wolseley-1500 car which represented slightly increased version of the Morris Minor model was presented to the public. In 1961 to the public there was next Wolseley Hornet which actually repeated all technical characteristics of Morris Mini, and here the body was more attractive and, unlike Mini, three-volume. In the next years also under the name of Wolseley made the improved options of midget cars of concern of Naval Forces.
In 1967 Wolseley-18/85, in 1972 – a high-class sedan with the forward Wolseley-2200 drive was let out, and in 1975 the model range of Wolseley cars was much reduced. After a while one of latest models of the Wolseley-1300 company, in connection with financial crisis, was renamed into Princess. And the total disappearance of its development from the market became the following round of history of the Wolseley company.51 - 50
Audi have confirmed information about the fact that the R8 supercar goes on "turbo" starting July 15 of the current year. ...
Without the support of Daimler, American manufacturer of electric cars "didn't give up" and quickly found a replacement for him. It is reported that Tesla already negotiating with Bavarian BMW about ...
Spies automotive innovations recorded the testing of a new prototype from Mercedes-Benz. It was the model GLC crossover Coupe that is in full swing and even without backup was tested by the company. ...
Manual Volvo discussed the idea of building a sports car that could be considered the successor to the once-popular convertible C70. However, during its development, the Swedes will be taken only aft...
Honda plans to release a new 400-strong sportcenter Honda is preparing to release a sports car for four hundred horsepower. It is noted that it will be based on the existing model S2000. A photo of t...